I hate taking supplements. My asthma has me on enough meds and my mom used to all but shove vitamins down my throat all the live long day so I avoid taking that route at all costs. I want to get my requirements from food whenever possible, and I've mostly figured out how (short answer: eat enough spinach to make Popeye blush). If you've got other additions to this list, shout out in the comments and I'll add them.
(Note: for greens, the amount indicates a cooked portion)
Potassium You need ~3000mg a day
- Spinach – 1 cup has 780mg of K and just 3g net carbs.
- Beet greens – .5 cup of prepared beet greens will get you 650mg of for only 2 net carbs.
- Avocados – an average one will have ~600-700mg and net you 2-3g net carbs.
- Beet greens – .5 cup of prepared beet greens will get you 650mg of for only 2g net carbs.
- Swiss chard – .5 cup of prepared swiss chard is a surprisingly tasty way to get 480g of K and it'll cost you 2g net carbs
- Mushrooms – 1 cup has over 300g of K and only 2g net carbs.
- Summer squash – 1 cup raw has ~300g of K and 1 cup prepared has ~350g for 2g and 5g net carbs, respectively.
Magnesium You need ~400mg a day
- Pumpkin Seeds – A 1/4 cup portion is only 2g net carbs and has 190mg of Mg.
- Spinach – 1 cup has 175mg of Mg and just 3g net carbs.
- Swiss chard – That same .5 cup of swiss chard has about 75mg of Mg for only 2g net carbs.
- Edamame – 3/4 cup is 75mg of Mg for 5g net carbs (plus probably a ton of sodium)
Calcium You need ~1000-1200mg a day
- Cheese – you didn't need to be told this one. 😉 A 1/4 cup of cheddar has ~440mg of Ca and the same amount of mozzarella has ~460mg, all for about 1g net carbs each.
- Spinach – 1 cup has ~290mg of Ca and just 3g net carbs.
- Sardines in oil – no carbs and 210mg of Ca.
- Tofu – Roughly half a package of extra firm tofu has ~160mg of Ca and only ~3g net carbs (plus 60mg of Mg).
- Collard greens – .5 cup has 160mg of Ca and only 2g net carbs.
via everything about keto http://ift.tt/1GBg2nX